Archive for the 'Before you leave home . . .' Category

Get an international driving licence

Thursday, February 2nd, 2006

You can drive in Canada on your UK licence, but only for 3 months.
To get an Alberta ‘Operator’s Licence’ (driving licence) you have to take (write) the written exam, then the practical exam.
An international licence is good for a year, so you will not have to rush quite so much - but see the post […]

Banking and credit

Thursday, February 2nd, 2006

Open a bank account BEFORE you come to Canada.
Make sure you do this from the UK because you will then be known when you arrive. If you don’t do it then it’s not as easy to do and there are far more pressing things that you have to do.
Getting a credit card is difficult. In […]